Historical Timeline Of Cypress Mountain



• The first logging road was cut through the dense forest of what is now called Hollyburn Mountain.



• The first ascent of Hollyburn Peak was in 1908 by members of Vancouver Mountaineering Club.


• Botanist John Davidson names the mountain "Hollyburn Mountain" while conducting a botanical survey. The mountain's original name is "Mount Vaughen"



• The Hollyburn Pacific Ski Club was established with over 100 members


• Decades prior to the construction of the Lions Gate Bridge, skiing enthusiasts would take a boat from downtown Vancouver to the North Shore, and would hike up to Cypress Mountain’s Hollyburn Ridge to ski.


• The Hollyburn Lodge is built on Hollyburn Ridge, where it still stands today and is enjoyed by many cross-country skiers and snowshoers. The lodge was constructed in 1926 from lumber salvaged from the abandoned Nasmyth mill. The building was 75 feet long and 25 feet wide. Old Growth Logs provided a basic foundation. The lodge had board and batten cladding and a cedar shake roof.

The Hollyburn Ski Camp officially opened on January 16, 1927. During the next two decades, the sport of skiing and ski jumping developed rapidly on the North Shore mountains.

A covered porch was added to the main (front) entrance in 1928.

For More information on Hollyburn Lodge click HERE...


• The first ski race on Hollyburn Mountain was held in March of 1927. Organized by the Hollyburn Pacific Ski Club. There were races for both men and women. The race course began at First Lake, climbed to the Hollyburn plateau, and then descended to First Lake.


• During the summer of 1930, swimmers were able to leap off a small diving tower which had been erected towards the south end of First Lake.


• In the Spring of 1932, West Vancouver resident Roland D. Brewis conceived the idea of building a ski camp on the shores of West Lake.


• The West Lake Ski Camp was officially opened on March 18th, 1933. During the next five years, thousands of Lower Mainland residents visited the ski camp many hiking up a trail built by R.D. Brewis which started at the top of 15th Street in West Vancouver. 

The lodge had accommodation for 16 people at a cost of $1 per night.


• The first Ski Jump was built on Hollyburn Ridge on the North Shore of West Lake. This was a major venue for practice and competition.

By March 1934, a back room had been built on the east side of Hollyburn Lodge.





• In 1946, the owners of the ski camp, Oscar Pearson, Ole Anderson and Anders Israel, sold the operation to the Burfield family, who renamed it Hollyburn Ski Lodge. They rebuilt the First Lake ski jump which had collapsed sometime during the early 1940’s.

• During the same period, the West Vancouver Police and the First Aid Patrol were established in cabins at the southwest end of First Lake. By 1950 a Ranger Station stood a few meters north of these two cabins.


• Norm Deacon installed a rope tow on the 'Popfly' across First Lake From Hollyburn Lodge in 1948.

• In the fall night skiing starts on Saturdays on Paradise, the Westlake Lodge beginners' hill.




• On January 17, 1951, the Hollyburn (single person) chairlift was officially opened. This brought people from Highview Lookout to West Lake from 1951-1965.

Hollyburners who had previously relied on a network of logging roads and trails to reach their cabins and skiing grounds could now look forward to a 12 minute ride from Hat-Inn at 300m to Hi-View Lodge at 850m.

At one time there were eight rope tows that carried skiers to different area of what is now the Nordaic Ski Area.



• The popular run off of Skychair (Alpine Area) got it’s name from a Canadian Forces T-33 training jet that crashed into Mt. Strachan on November 23, 1963. The plane wreckage was left at the site, along with a plaque to serve as a memorial to the two men who perished in that crash.

For more information on the T-33 Plane crash please click HERE...

• In 1963, Fred Burfield installed another tow - the Blueberry rope tow - in a clearing north of First Lake.



• The top sations of the Hollyburn chairlift and Hi View Lodge burned down in June 1965. It is believed that this fire was puposely set as gasoline was poured at the top lift station of the chairlift.


• BC Parks designates the area as a Provincial Park and opens the ski hill.

For more information on BC Parks click HERE...

 • Two double chairlifts open on Black Mountain & Mt.Strachan.


• Cypress Bowl highway opens in 1975. This 13 million dollar road allowed easier access to the newly cut Alpine ski area and revamped Nordic area.





 • Fred Burfield eventually retired in 1984 and sold the lodge to Cypress Bowl Recreations Ltd. - the lodge name was shortened to "Hollyburn Lodge". Regardless of its name, Hollyburn Ski Camp/Hollyburn Ski Lodge/Hollyburn Lodge has been "a place of memories" for many people.

• "Black Mountain Lodge" (right) started off as a trailer in what is now the Alpine Area. 


 • Night Skiing opens on Cypress on Black Mountain and Mt.Strachan.


• Westlake Lodge - On October 20, 1986, the lodge burned to the ground after sparks from a chimney landed on the roof.


 • Sky Chair a double chairlift, is installed to access new runs on the peak of Mount Strachan thus expanding the downhill skiable terrain even further.



March 15, 1987

 • Sky Cypress Bowl Recreations is the first ski resort in BC to allow snowboarding






 •  A double chair named "Midway Chair" is installed on Mount Strachan.


 • A quad chair named "The Sunrise Chair" is installed on Mount Strachan.


 • The Tube Tow is installed in the Nordic Area to allow easier access to snowtubers.



• Boyne Resorts purchases Cypress Mountain from Wayne Booth.

For more information on Boyne Resorts visit Boyneresorts.com

• Sunrise Rope Tow is replaced by the Easy Rider Quad Chair and an easier start for beginners learning to ski/ride.

• Eagle Chair is replaced by the Eagle Express High Speed Quad Chair which would allow faster access to the top of Black Mountain.

• More lighting is installed on Cypress Mountain's Nordic ski trails.



 • Vancouver wins the bid to Host the 2010 Winter Olympic Games.

For more information on the Vancouver Olympic Winter Games, click HERE...

 • Cypress Mountain becomes the Official Freestyle Skiing and Snowboard venue for the 2010 Olympic Winter Games.

For more information on the events hosted at Cypress, click HERE...




 • Magic Carpet surface lift installed for Kids Camp Area. This enables children who are just starting ou,t to easily save their energy as they learn, for the bigger slopes of the easy rider run.



 • New Snowmaking System is installed on Olympic Venue Sites.

 • 9 new ski runs are built which was the first expansion of terrain on the north shore in 20 years. Sunrise Chair is moved over the service this new location that allows clear views of Vancouver and the surrounding areas.



• The Sun Rise Quad is relocated and the lift is renamed the Raven Ridge Quad Chair, this accessed 9 new runs in a completely new pod opening for winter 2007/2008.

• New Lions Express High Speed Quad Chair installed on Mt Strachan to replace the Sunrise Quad Chair which is now called the Raven Ridge Quad Chair.


• All Freestyle Skiing and Snowboard Venues are completed, and are the first of the venues to be completed and competition ready.

• Cypress Hosts their first World Cup Event in Aerials and Moguls on the future site of the 2010 Olympic Freestyle Ski Venue.

• CNL Enterprises purchases Cypress Mountain's assets.




• New 48,000 sq ft Cypress Creeks Lodge is opened, which includes the new Crazy Raven Bar & Grill, Cypress Creek Grill, Big Bear Sports Retail Store, new rental shop facilities, lesson desk facilities and a new corporate/meeting space located on the 3rd mezzanine level.

For more information on Cypress Creek Lodge, Click Here.


• New gladed ski run (Shore Glades) opens off of the Raven Ridge chair. This opening followed the first expantion of the Alpine Area since 1987 when Sky Chair was added accessing the top of Mt.Strachan.

• New night lighting added to Humpty Dumpty and Rainbow ski runs which allow for more night skiing. These newly lit areas have now increased the night skiing terrain and offer more variety to skiers of all levels.

• Cypress Mountain celebrates 25 years. In 1984 Cypress Bowl Recreations Ltd. purchased the area. A 50 year Park use permit was included in the sale to sustain operation of the ski facilities that included Black Mountain, Mt.Strachan and Hollyburn Mountain. The area as a whole was now referred to as Cypress Mountain.




 • Cypress Mountain hosts six World Cup Events. The Freestyle ski events, Aerials, Moguls, Ski Cross and the Snowboard events, P.G.S., Boarder Cross and Halfpipe competitions were held in February 2009. This World Cup was a run through of all of the events that are to be held at Cypress Mountain during the 2010 Olympic Winter Games.



December 4, 2009

 • Olympic Rings are brought in by helicopter to the top of the Cypress Mountain Olympic Halfpipe in preparation of the 2010 Olympic Winter Games.

To view the Olympic Rings being installed, click HERE...


 February 12, 2010

• Opening day
of the 2010 Olympic Winter Games at BC Place in downtown Vancouver. 

• First day of competition at Cypress Mountain - The Official Freestyle Skiing and Snowboard Venue of the 2010 Olympic Winter Games.


February 13, 2010

Jennifer Heil wins SILVER at the Ladies Moguls event at the 2010 Olympic Winter Games.

For full event details and results click HERE...

February 14, 2010

Alex Bilodeau wins GOLD at the Mens Mogul's event at the 2010 Olympic Winter Games.

For full event details and results click HERE...


February 15, 2010

Mike Robertson wins SILVER at the Men's Snowboard Cross event at the 2010 Olympic Winter Games.

For full event details and results click HERE...


February 16, 2010

Maelle Ricker wins GOLD at the Ladies Snowboard Cross event at the 2010 Olympic Winter Games.

For full event details and results click HERE...


February 23, 2010

Ashleigh McIvor wins GOLD at the Ladies Ski Cross event at the 2010 Olympic Winter Games.

For full event details and results click HERE...


February 27, 2010

Jasey Jay Anderson wins GOLD at the Men's Ski Cross event at the 2010 Olympic Winter Games.This the final GOLD medal that broke the world record of the number of GOLD medals won by the host country - 14 GOLD medals for Canada in total!

For full event details and results click HERE...

• Last day of competition at Cypress Mtn of the 2010 Olympic Winter Games.


February 28, 2010

• Final day and closing ceremonies of the 2010 Olympic Winter Games.

For more information about the 2010 Olympics on Cypress Mountain, click HERE

For More Historical Photos click HERE...

For more historical information – visit the Hollyburn Heritage Society website at hollyburnheritagesociety.ca